Tuesday, April 19, 2011

... the story continues

6 more days 
It is getting close and the excitement continues.  I am checking the weather everyday and think I am going to need all my clothes and shoes for this trip.  LOL. :D
Anyway to continue my story...  After Katrina, My Dad and I moved into a lakefront condo in South Carolina.  It was comforting to know the water in the lake would never come up to get us.  During this time, I was trying to get on disability, which was an ordeal.  It took many months but it finally came through.  I was also thinking about a guide dog.  


I remembered watching a Disney movie many years ago about a young man who loses his sight after a boxing accident.  He was one of the first people in the USA to use a dog to help him get around.  The name of the movie is Love Leads the Way.  It is based on a true story and his use of the seeing eye dog helped congress to pass the law which allows service dogs to go anywhere with their blind master.


I remember watching this movie with my three daughters in New Orleans way before I ever know I would have a problem.  It made a big impression on me and when I found out that I would lose my sight, I wanted that dog.  I really can not make anyone understand the loss of sight unless it has happened to you.  However, I know everyone can understand how it feels when you know something will and can help you return to a more productive life but yet it seems out of reach.  Wanting it and waiting for my dog has been a very hard thing to do and patience is definitely not one of my strong points.
Now, I can not believe it is really going to happen!  I feel so blessed in my life and I know now that I am really ready to accept this wonderful gift.  I am so very happy.
Well, that is the short version of my loss of vision and how I got to this point.  Tomorrow there will be a conference call and I should know more about what to expect.  So, until tomorrow take care.  nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment